First, Cathleen Smarr one of our client managers makes a dish similar to a cranberry jello.
1 bag cranberries, chopped in a processor
1 orange, chopped
1 box red jello (strawberry, raspberry, cranberry are all good ones)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1. Combine cranberries and orange in a bowl, set aside.
2. Bring water, sugar, and jello to a boil and pour over the fruit.
3. Mix and refrigerate.
4. Keeps for a long time in the fridge, so make a few batches while you’re at it!
Extra tip: you can also add chopped apple, or you could add crushed pineapple instead of the orange.
Next, our client manager Rose Serraglio has her favorite cookie recipe.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour (+ 2-3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup M&M’s
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, white sugar, shortening, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until well mixed.
3. Add the 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined; you can finish by hand. Add extra tablespoons of flour until the dough feels thick and almost dry to the touch. Stir the M&M’s into the dough.
4. Roll into large balls (unless you want small cookies!) and press extra M&M’s into the tops. Flatten slightly with your palm or the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes – they will be slightly underbaked – remove from cookie sheet right away and place on a cooling rack and let sit for 5-10 minutes so the cookies hold their shape.
Extra tip: the extra flour is so the cookies don’t get flat. If you think there is too much flour in the cookies, you can always flatten them so they are a “normal” cookie shape before they go in the oven.
We hope you find these recipes easy and delicious, and have the time to try them out! All of us at Richey-Barrett Insurance wish you and your families a great holiday.
Our office will close at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, December 21st so we can spend time with our families, and we will reopen at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, December 26th.
If you have an emergency, please call 440-835-4800. Listen to the prompt. Press 109 and leave your name, phone number, and a brief explanation. Someone will return your call as soon as possible.